While the green movement has only gained momentum in the past few years, Rebuilding Together affiliates have been utilizing green practices — and providing green home rehabilitation — since our founding over 20 years ago. We believe that home repair and rehabilitation are inherently green. Rebuilding Together affiliates work to increase the health, safety, and quality of life for homeowners. Through the repairs Rebuilding Together affiliates make, homeowners save money on utility bills, thrive in cleaner home environments and are better-able to afford other essential needs.
Rebuilding Together’s Green Housing initiative brings funding, education, and expertise to a network of over 200 affiliates across the country. Through a strong commitment to improving the lives of low-income homeowners, Rebuilding Together has shown what green home rehabilitation means: a safe and healthy home that is affordable to live in and improves the quality of life for its residents. Green Housing reduces impact on the environment through resource-efficient repairs that lower consumption and save homeowners money.
Rebuilding Together affiliates provide:
- Energy efficiency: such as adding insulation, caulking around windows, weatherstripping, adding a water heater blanket
- Water efficiency: such as installing aerators in sinks and showers, low-flow or dual flush toilets, fixing leaky faucets
- Resource efficiency: such as using recycled materials; recycling construction waste; using fewer and less; properly disposing of hazardous waste
- Indoor environmental health: such as installing exhaust fans, no-VOC paints and finishes, properly ventilating the home, using lead safe work practices, eliminating mold, pest management, using non-toxic cleaning products
- Homeowner education: such as helping homeowner understand the types of repairs made, how to use new thermostat, the health and safety issues addressed through the repairs
- Smart land use: such as using native plant species, planting shade trees, planting nontoxic varieties in households with children